History of SCA
At the turn of the century, the village of Suitland had a general store, post office, churches and several houses. On August 10, 1909, a large number of Suitland residents met at the home of Mr. George J. Hess and organized the Suitland Improvement Association of Maryland electing the following officers to serve one year: President Dr. C.M. Emmons, Vice President C.L. Jenkins, Secretary and Treasurer George J. Hess. Committees were appointed and some idea of what the association hoped to accomplish was outlined by a brief talk by Dr. Emmons. On November 17, 1950, the Suitland Improvement Association became incorporated by the State Tax Commission and later changed its name to The Suitland Citizens Association. By 2002, this community lead organization revamped its name yet again and became known as the Suitland Civic Association. As groups gathered for monthly meetings at the Water Tower located on Suitland Road, future plans for Suitland were discussed and revitalizing the neighborhood became a focal point for the community.